8.17.2010

Last minute...

There is something fun and adventurous about taking a last minute trip. We don't do it often. I think it's harder to do when you have kiddos, but it's definitely fun. Our friend Jennifer is in town, and of course when people come to visit you want to take them to see things... all the while knowing that it's being together which is the blessing... In the midst of working and weekends and crazy kinds of schedules we realized (we, meaning, me, Chele & Jennifer) we had basically two options to do a day away, and only 1 would really work for Brian too...none would work for all of us... (meaning no Steve, boo hoo hoo...). So, after checking and looking and then taking a risk on the Travelocity Top Secret Hotel deal... we ended up in Bend, Oregon - someplace we had never been before (ok, this "we" is me and the kids and Jennifer...the Condellos had been there before).

I know that staying there a week wouldn't give us time to really enjoy all that is there --- and part of that I know has to be just sitting and resting too. We didn't do that, unless you call riding in the car or on a ski lift sitting and resting. We woke up Sunday morning and drove into Sisters, OR for lunch and cruised the shops there for a while, then made our way to our hotel. After a quick dip in the pool, we loaded up and headed off to Mt. Bachelor to ride the ski lift as far up as we could go (which unfortunately wasn't the tip top of the mountain, but it was still beautiful). After a little chaos we made our way back to the hotel to, of course, watch the Next Food Network Star finale (yeah!!! Arti won!!). The next morning we were up and out and off to the Newberry Crater area to see waterfalls and the Lava Flow area with this bizarre mix of pumice and obsidian all flowed together. While there we saw a bald eagle flying around (which was AMAZING!!) and somehow we always end up having a little chipmunk scurry around us somewhere too... We come down from the crater area and head to the High Desert Museum and realize that while we wanted to do it, the cost was a little out of whack for the short amount of time we had left in the day. Then...we head to the parking lot and realize that I had locked my keys in the van...in the ignition. Classic. (Somethings never change - I've been really good at locking my keys in the car ever since I got my driver's license...). Thanks to the Condellos for having AAA we got back into the vehicles and basically headed to dinner and then back home. A whirlwind trip...but so cool.

I took 300+ pics in that short 36 hours... Here's a few glimpses...

Mt. Bachelor...
Me & the kids up on Mt. Bachelor...
The view from the ski lift...

Me and my girl, Mt. Bachelor...

On top of the lava flows at Newberry Crater...

A cool tree at the water falls...

The cool falls...that I unfortunately don't know the name of but will find out...

Me & my girl at one of the scenic outlooks...
Sisters, Broken Top, Mt. Bachelor in the background...

One of the views on the drive home...

I don't think I could ever grow tired of seeing what God has created here on Earth. His creation is amazing... I love mountains and scenic views... I love sharing that with friends and family (although I really really really like doing it with Steve and was sad he wasn't able to be with us this time...). God thanks for the gift of sun and clouds and sky and trees and mountains...and of each day... You are amazing...

1 comments:

Bex said...

BEAUTIFUL! So glad you guys got to do this stuff, and with Jennifer, too! Hooray! Sorry we weren't able to meet up, but you only had a short window to explore the fun and beauty anyway- next time! :-)

 

©2009 Until... | by TNB