8.02.2010

Just when you think...

I got a GREAT hanging basket for Mother's Day (well, I bought it for myself when Jeanne-Annand I went tothis way cool nursery). It's a Moonglo - never seen it before or heard of it... Of course I didn't take a picture that day - why? I'm not sure - but man - love it!!! Mine has more pink in the bloom that this one, but I love it. It has cascading green leaves and the blooms hang upside down andliterally open up facing the ground...and opens into this beautiful creative surprise! I love it (Oh, I've said that huh...). It also has a desperate need to be watered well. So the morning ritual includes watering the Moonglo... then the strawberries and peppers (ok, occasionally the opposite order). It's so fun to wake up in the morning seeing the new blooms, or drive up after being gone for the day and see how much it's grown in such a short period of time. With the wateringthing, it seems a bit tempermental ... but it's soooo worth it!


As you know, Steve and the kids did Camp Pathetic while I was off in Louisville, KY for LIFE 2010. They had an absolute blast...and I'm so glad they did - crabbing, sand boarding, camping, and more!! Now when we had a dog we would always think through who is going to care for things at home while we are away...now that we don't have a dog...we don't typically think about it. The sprinkler system kicks in automatically, and the backyard is doing well. But OOPS... the Moonglo... when I got home, it was hanging there to greet me but it didn't look as though it weathered my absence well.

So... after about two weeks, I just took it down. I had tried to water it, but
to no avail. It just looked that much more dead. That much more shriveled. That much more kissed by heat. I placed the hanging basket by our green yard waste container to dump
it in later in the week (why I didn't do it then, I'm not sure...)

Last Thursday I went out to put the poor thing out of its moody misery...
When all of a sudden I saw something so unexpected. Green leaves popping out of branches all over the plant. It's was sprouts of hope in the midst of obvious disaster, distress, and doom. It was the absolute LAST thing I would have ever expectedto see - actually I don't even thing I would have begun to expect to see that happen. Actually, I guess I did, because I watered it with expectation that it would come back to life, but when it didn't within two weeks, I thought for sure time was done. And then... greeeeeeeeen.


Today...it's back closer to the front porch. It's sitting on the ground, and within the path of the sprinkler system, but still in the shade most of the day...and... look at the huge green leaves sprouting out everywhere. I honestly can't believe it. I even have a first bloom that has developed. I honestly consider it nothing short of a miracle. It was literally hopeless, dead as can be, beyond help, and we had all given up any glimmer of hope that there would be a different result.


I don't know what you're facing today that seems hopeless, out of control, completely beyond rescue... but I love the picture of this plant I love being the promise that even when I can't see it God is at work doing His thing. And even if this plant had just withered even more sitting next to that container, I am confident that He was still working - I'll be honest. There are things in my life that seem impossible. Or things that I wish would work on a completely different timetable (for my sake, or for the sake of others I know). Or that things would work according to my plan and effort. Yet I'm grateful for a simple reminder of His goodness and knowing He is watching out for me...and for all of you as well. In this life I will laugh and plan and love and give and wonder and yes, I may still cry or not understand all that goes on... and I know that I don't know all of the intricacies of how He works... but I will trust and hope in Him.

But the eyes of the LORD are on those who fear him,
on those whose hope is in his unfailing love,

to deliver them from death
and keep them alive in famine.

We wait in hope for the LORD;
he is our help and our shield.

In him our hearts rejoice,
for we trust in his holy name.

May your unfailing love rest upon us, O LORD,
even as we put our hope in you.

Psalm 33:18-22

2 comments:

Bex said...

You are such a pastor. :-) I love this!

P.S. Why does your blog not let me read the whole entry from my Google Reader?

Michelle said...

I don't know... Too long?? Weird...

 

©2009 Until... | by TNB